RE: NANFA-- stupid hunting tricks. the ego, and PETA

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:26:16 -0800

<x-flowed>
At 11:54 AM 12/17/00, you wrote:
>[Ken Wintin] Right ON! I work with people who are well educated, erudite,
>and care about the environment, but this past election has brought out
>honest-to-god bigotry on their parts. It seems that they, almost to a
>person, think that they are highly superior to all less educated, hunting,
>or agriculture oriented, persons.

Ken, I don't understand your use of the word "superior", and what it
relates to, so your message likely paints a wide range of perceptions of
your colleagues' bigotry to those of us reading your message.

> Frankly, from a biological view, mass extinction, even of our own species,
>is not a "bad" thing, but self-interest tells me it just don't float. I
>think that the real problem was hinted at in Martin's contribution: our
>self-interest is served by being good stewards of this planet.
> Yes, we ARE the stewards of this planet, whether we like it, or
> not. We
>also should be able to convince others of this.

Interesting way of putting things. If, by "steward", you are talking about
moral responsibility through intellect, I agree wholeheartledly, and
convincing others of this is the only way to protect the environment in a
way that will satisfy the greatest number of people. It's the absolute
key-- somehow finding a common thread that connects all of our dreams,
perceptions and values.

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------- /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes / Association" / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to / nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead. / For more information about NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org </x-flowed>