Re: NANFA-- cold weather collecting

Al G Eaton (sege7_2000_at_yahoo.com)
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:09:25 -0800 (PST)

Hi Nick.... Fritz Bazeley and I collected last year in
late November when the airtemperature was about 10
degrees. Most of the stream had some ice on it,
except in the riffles and faster flowing parts. We
caught lots of darters in spectacular color and a few
stonerollers and chubs. Most of the minnows could be
seen under the ice and were not readily accessible.
All in all it wasnt too bad as we collected in bright
sunshine and there wasn't any wind. Make sure your
waders don't leak, wear neoprene booties and gloves
and keep the net in the water or it will become rock
hard. get the fish to the bucket as fast as possible
as they easily freeze to the netting and suffer a lot
of damage if you handle them while they are frozen
into the net.

If you have any specific questions just let me know.
BTW, we collected in the Little Darby west of
Columbus, OH that day.

Klaus