RE: NANFA-- Plants, substrate, and Canidate sand darter.

BILL HOPPE (zzzzzzbill_at_yahoo.com)
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 15:30:23 -0800 (PST)

I have seen rainbow darters do many different sand
diving behaviors in a photo tank set up with
relatively fine creek gravel . Females often shimmy
and wiggled their way into the sand up to their backs
. This caused a plume of sand to rise and a male or
males would rush to the area . If two nearly equal
males arrived on scene one would chase the other
whilst another young non alpha male would rush in ,
mount the female and both would wiggle sending another
larger plume of sand up signaling the alpha male that
he had been had by a pipsqueek little male . This
photo tank would be a 10 gallon with a dozen darters
and 3 inches of sand . Sometimes a female would dive
head first completely under and a male would sometimes
scoot to the area , seem to look round a little
confused and then dive down and out of site at the
same place . A short time latter both would come back
up and leave and then another darter would come and
dive there too . Sometimes a rainbow would dive and
come back up with just its head above the sand and
stay that way for some time .My digital camera turned
to toast a month or two ago but I should have another
by spring . May be I can get some good shots of this
going on then .
--- Bruce Stallsmith <fundulus_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Most flounders can bury themselves in the sand, and
> a surprising variety of
> other marine fishes bury themselves for a range of
> reasons. Various
> killifishes are pretty good at diving into the
> substrate, too, to avoid
> predators (and seines).
>
> --Bruce Stallsmith
> Huntsville, AL, US of A
>
> >From: m c <midgatutordigests_at_yahoo.com>
> >To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
> >Subject: RE: NANFA-- Plants, substrate, and
> Canidate sand darter.
> >Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 13:56:34 -0800 (PST)
> >
> >What interested me in the sand darter was the pic
> of
> >it buried in sand. Any other fish do this?
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this
> list do not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association"
> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or
> get help, send the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not
> subject) of an email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version,
> send the command to
> / For more information about NANFA, visit our web
> page, http://www.nanfa.org

=====
Bill Hoppe
Yellville Arkansas