RE: NANFA-- Re: nanfa V1 #1479

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:32:44 -0500

Hi Arlus,

Thanks for your feedback. This was only intended ever to be a local copy, and
since it was available, I thought it would be nice to post it up as a
*concept*, not necessarily as an implementation, and I appologize for the fuss
and extra email it created. In an actual implementation, I'd actually take it
a bit further and have it stripped to plain ol' the html 3.0 standard and jpg
format so if someone didn't have a local copy of Acrobat, they'd still be able
to use it in any circumstance. PDF and PowerPoint however, would be other
choices on the cd as there will be a lot of space to fill, and both are simple
to make the conversion to :)

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Arlus F
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 8:16 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: NANFA-- Re: nanfa V1 #1479

I have an older version of ppt support and the website didn't work with
IE for me... not very good with backwards compatibility, something that
used to be desirable. This will not endear your efforts to international
viewers or even a wider audience. The scientific community prefers pdf
for this reason, you should seriously considering using it even though
you are required to pay for the authoring tool while the viewer is
freely distributed (but not bundled with the os). There is too much
fragmentation with webpages customized to particular software
configurations, the compatibility drift is becoming a compatibility
rift, making the presentation available to an ever smaller number of
recipients. Not good generally unless you intend to target a select
market. I like to avoid anything M$ specific for this reason, too many
headaches involved. Even in a moderate size company just making sure
everyone in the distribution path can access the information is
something of a logistical nightmare, speaking from professional
experience. Ends up costing more in manpower hours with lost
productivity and help desk staff.

-