Re: NANFA-- dwarf sturgeon / captive breeding / refuguia

BILL HOPPE (zzzzzzbill_at_yahoo.com)
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 16:12:50 -0800 (PST)

Moon ... I think this project which you are so
passionate about would be a worthy endeavor . I dont
think anyone here has any idea how it could be
accomplished . I know I dont . If you had some of
these fish and were saying you would send some or you
can get some by doing such and such there would be
little trouble in placing them with top notch
aquarists . As I understand it these fish are
extreamly rare in their native habitat in a far away
country or two . In an area where there are no
established aquarium fish shippers and government
regs/laws might change hourly it could boarder on
impossible.Then there are the problems of dealing with
endangered species transportation , both export and
import not to mention just collecting . Is there an
organization on site that is doing anything ?
Sometimes if there is a trustworthy organization its
best to work thru them with financial
donations/membership etc while you spread as much
documentation and general information as you can .
Mailings to TF clubs ,conservation groups , educators
, letters to the editor departments , and maybe even
getting a story together for TF pubs could help .
Could be a long lonely road to get it going . Might
even get done in time .Now for my nap .
--- Moontanman_at_aol.com wrote:
> Standard Time,
> dameda_at_shands.ufl.edu writes:
>
> > Thanks, Martin, that thought helped me suddenly
> frame an underlying question
> > that has (perhaps) been lurking around this
> discussion ... namely ...
> >
> You guys seem to think I want to save a giant squid.
> This is a fish small
> enough to keep in an aquarium or small pond. A few
> dozen people could keep
> more of them alive than currently exist. An outdoor
> refuge is not required.
> Why does everyone seem to think only of ways to make
> things more difficult
> and complex. one day the ecosystem of the dwarf
> sturgeon might recover but
> there will be no dwarf sturgeon to put in it unless
> we make it so. All the
> wish we had's and should haves will mean nothing.
>
> Moon
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this
> list do not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association"
> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or
> get help, send the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not
> subject) of an email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version,
> send the command to
> / For more information about NANFA, visit our web
> page, http://www.nanfa.org

=====
Bill Hoppe
Yellville Arkansas