Re: NANFA-- dwarf sturgeon / captive breeding / refuguia

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:38:35 -0800

Hi Moon,

You started the thread up by seeking advocates for releasing this species
into a river of your choosing. Then, finding no real support for that you
changed direction and attempted to steer the conversation into one about
pond and tank rearing. If you had approached this topic from that angle
from the get go then you would have no complaints.

I know you want this fish. You are a sturgeon fanatic. You think they make
fine pets. That is great. Try for it. You go through all the amazing
amounts of red tape, get the permits, get the fish imported legally, and
then you will have a bandwagon that others can jump aboard. No one seems
willing to help you build that wagon though.

There are fishes in similar peril in Mexico and the United States that would
make better targets for you efforts though. And they would be in keeping
with the topic of this list.

Norm Edelen

Portland, Oregon

A Proud Member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society.
www.gpas.org

The North American Native Fishes Association
30 years of conservation efforts, public education,
and aquarium study of our native fishes.
www.nanfa.org

Lake Baikal Endemics Rock!