Re: NANFA-- Transgenetic Danios

Joshua L Wiegert (jlw_at_dune.net)
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:35:38 -0700 (MST)

I kind of wonder if it isn't a marketting-fib, being sent out to
discourage hobbyists (sort of like the "hybrid cichlid" stories...).

The ironic part is, if -that- is true, it's only encouraged those people
I've talked to find a male....

Of course, in the short term, that may bolster sales as everyone tries to
find an elusive male and breed the population. If they're going to lose
market to hobbyist-bred supplies (not being a lawyer, I'm not sure, but I
believe they could technically sue you if you bred TG ZDs and sold them to
another hobbyist... you could, of course, -give- them away.... I do have a
hard time believing they'd go after a hobbyist supplying a few other
hobbyists, or a retail store, but then, I have a hard time beliving music
companies would go after people on Kazaa.... where was I?) Oh, if they're
going to lose market to hobbyist-bred supplies, they might as well try for
that quick bolster in moderate level hobbyists who would try to breed
them.... My conspiracy theory of the week (just so you know, they're not
really genetically engineered, tehy live in Loch Ness, and hide
under bigfoot. :)