Re: NANFA-- Aquarium Stands

John Bongiovanni (bongi_at_cox-internet.com)
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:02:54 -0600

> From: "Denkhaus, Robert" <Robert.Denkhaus_at_fortworthgov.org>
> Date: 2003/12/09 Tue PM 04:44:45 CST
> To: "NANFA (E-mail)" <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
> Subject: NANFA-- Aquarium Stands
>
> Hopefully this winter I will finish construction on my home workshop so that I
> have space to house my woodworking tools for the first time in 8 years! When
> I last had a decent shop and space to work in, I built a number of aquarium
> stands for myself, family and friends. I sold a few as well. All of the ones
> that I built were designed to meet my needs or at least what I thought was
> right. I am hoping to build some stands for sale when the shop is completed
> but I want to try to incorporate other's ideas to create "the perfect aquarium
> stand" (maybe I can wholesale them through Jonah's! :). So, here's your
> chance to pass along what makes a great stand from a function standpoint as
> well as aesthetics. Obviously, I know the dimensions that are required for
> the tank to fit and choice of materials makes a huge difference but...
>
> 1) What is the perfect height (bottom of tank) for viewing and working in a
> tank (please state size that you are referring to)?

I think it has everything to do with the size of the tank. When sitting, the middle of the tank should be eye level.

> 2) What makes a hood "good"?

Easy access, easy removal, not so heavy and bulky that two people are required move it. If the balast could be located somewhere other than the hood, that would help.

> 3) How do you feel about drawers and/or shelves in an aquarium stand?

Shelves that retract into the stand would be cool. A small shelf built into the doors (if you have them) to hold food items, fertilizer, etc. Built in timer with mutiple plugs.

> 4) What about multi-tank stands? Like stacking 3 ten gallons.

I have one and its nice. Access is important for survicing.
Alow for at least 4" above the top of the tank. Rather than using hoods, I mounted lights to the bottom of the shelf above. This looks good, but a flip down panel to block the light from the rest of the room would be good.

> 5) What do you think about built-in powerstrips?

With a timer would be a plus!

> 6) Anything else that defines a good stand...

All the above and free!