Re: NANFA-- fishroom fires etc

Joshua L Wiegert (jlw_at_dune.net)
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:01:56 -0700 (MST)

Those little tap strips are kind of ... chancy.

During the summer months, I've had them blow just from humidity -- nothing
else wrong. I've had them blow when watr spills into them. Then, I had
another one overload and shoot sparks thru the bottom of it, scorching the
carpet underneath.... The breaker for the house blew (but not the tap
strip.) I've had tehm scorch and catch fire, without blowing. (I
actually had a powerfilter cord completely scorched fora bout 4" by flames
shooting out of the tap strip.)

The thing to remember is that tehy're not GFI's - they're surge
protectors. IF you get a sudden change in voltage, they'll pop. They're
meant to protect things like your computer from sudden jolts of
electricity, not to protect your fish tank or fish room. Install a GFI.
There are those oens that you just plug something into, or you can replace
the outlet. It's not that hard -- but do remember to ground and test it
properly.

Joshua.