Re: NANFA-- Regional Spring Fling, Hoosier Style...

matt ashton (ashtonmj2003_at_yahoo.com)
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:49:20 -0800 (PST)

Well it was much of this persons surveying and shocking that was leading to delisting of the 4 darter species. I will look into persuing them as a possibility to work with the parks on something. Have you already contacted the parks about such?

The area I was specifically talking about was south of Winamac, Indiana. Where I specifically was; Shoals, Huron, Winamac. There is actually alot of rural access and city access, (launching ramps and parks) and a couple areas I was curious in besides the river itself while there. You have to be a bit south of Winamac though because of the impoundments to get into the nicer sections of river again. There is alot north by northeast of Winamac too. A Indiana Gazetter helps alot, but just looking for parks on any map website too. I am unfamiliar with the state park though although I am sure I was staying very close to it for a few weeks. Really looking forward to this. Some great of snorkling oppurtunities and freshwater mussels.
Todd Crail <farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com> wrote:
That would be fantastic Matt! I guess we have a guide :) Also mention to
him, if they want to work with the Parks to have a presentation made for
park guests featuring the fish that are in the stream right there, I'd love
to work to organize something like that. Get some public ed in while we're
there. Feel free to pass along my contact info to anyone too.

It seems that my assumptions were correct and that it's only improved since
Dr. Page did his surveys in the late 80's. I _really_ hope they de-list
gilt darters before we go. It was already known that they're gonna be a
serious "Ring of Sauron" fer me, and I'd have to rely on the group to keep
me accountable ;)

----- Original Message -----
From: "matt ashton"
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Regional Spring Fling, Hoosier Style...

> That is REALLY close to where one of our mussel surveys took place
too...there is alot of unfortunately "lake" areas along that stretch but 30
minutes south of winimac it is great. get around huron and shoals is where
those rapids exist...believe its even on a usgs map. Ill have to see if I
could get a hold of the IDNR guy that as our contact, he is one of their
fishery biologists and I think had been at some Nanfa stuff becuase he saw
my 2002 convention shirt one day and started talking about it.