NANFA-- Crayfish helping fish (was- How fish get from A to B)

Hoover, Jan J WES (HOOVERJ_at_wes.army.mil)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:51:23 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Shireen Gonzaga
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 1999 5:21 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- How fish get from A to B

"Hoover, Jan J WES" wrote:

Shireen wrote:
>>>I'm talking about really dry conditions, just cracked-up mud on
the impoundment bottoms, not moist mud. You're saying crayfish
and other fish can tolerate that? <<<

Like Dave said - some burrows may extend down close to the water table.
Wetland can be dry and desolate on the surface, and might be teeming with
life below.

>>>Really neat. If you find any published studies, do let me know.<<<

Creaser, E.P. 1931. Some cohabitants of burrowing crayfish. Ecology
12(1): 243-244. [dry slough in MO; documents 6000 orgs/liter; ostracods,
copepods, amphipods; no fish but lots of fish food]

Neill, W.T. 1951. Notes on the role of crawfishes in the ecology of
reptiles, amphibians, and fishes. Ecology 32(4): 764-766. [dry cypress pond
in slash-pine flatwoods; 4 fish species documented, 3 suspect]

I'm also interested in finding out about other mudbug-huggin' fishes. It
would be neat to know what the water quality is like in the holes containing
fishes versus those that do not. Seems like it could get pretty nasty down
there!

- Jan