Re: NANFA-- breeding cycles and migrations

Shireen Gonzaga (shireen_at_stsci.edu)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:46:35 -0500

Dave Neely wrote:

> Both. If you collect during the Fall, you'll notice that a lot of things
> (darters and some cyprinids) get semi-fired up- not to the same extent that
> they do during spring, but it's still kind of funny to see.

Interesting... some migratory birds, like warblers, do the same thing.

> This sort of depends on the scale you are interested in, and varies from the
> incredible ability of Anguilla to navigate through open ocean

That's really neat. Are you aware of any studies in this area? Maybe
Mr. Eel, Chris Scharpf, might know. Hey, you out there? Oh, he's
probably sitting by his running faucet waiting for little fish to appear ...

> to the ability
> of tidepool fishes to home back to their tidepool after displacement.

Do they demonstate site fidelity, that is, always returning to the same
tidepool?

> They
> can use cues like smell, water currents, temperature and salinity patterns,
> celestial cues, plane-polarized light, and magnetic field anomalies. Wooton,
> R.J. (1992, Fish ecology, Chapman and Hall, NY) is a good place to start and
> fairly accessible.

What kind of celestial cues? I guess moon and sun are the obvious ones.
But I doubt if they can navigate by stars the way birds can. Hmmm... what
would the night sky look like to a fish? Thanks for the reference.

> It's a pretty active field, with some neat stuff going on now. There's a
> cool paper in Natural History this month on neuroanatomy of various fish- it
> seems that mormyrids (african knifefishes) have some pretty amazing
> brains...

Details?

- sg