Re: NANFA-- Collecting Regulations, Ohio

Mark B (mbinkley_at_earthling.net)
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 23:49:00 -0500

At 11:37 PM -0500 2/8/00, Michael Wolfe wrote:
>I know I saw this on the web simewhere, but can't seem to find it this
>evening, so I think I will ask here as I remember a few list members from
>Ohio. What are the state laws/rules/regulations on collecting fish?
>
>I know in some states collecting "bait" is OK, but gamefish is not OK.
>
>Some states require just a fishing lisence.
>
>What does Ohio require to seine a few fish out of a local stream/pond?

A fishing license. Game fish are hook and line only. Some size limits
apply. "Game" fish is not well defined. If you have a grass pickerell,
you might get busted. 'Course if they don't actually see you pull it up in
the net, they really don't have enough to convict. Sunfish are iffy for
netting. Again, it's not defined. Bait collecting is legal with legal
equipment during daylight hours. Rough fish can be abused in a number of
ways. See -

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/odnr/wildlife/fishing/index.html

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA <))><