NANFA-- plants and mollies

bockj (bockj_at_erols.com)
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:57:34 -0500

Hello, Sajjad. Amazon swords, I fear, wouldn't do well, because the water
is so hard--8.0 and above. And the mollies are doing great. What keeps
them happy and healthy is adding cichlid salt to the tank--which also makes
it tough to grow soft water plants like amazon swords.

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:14:51 -0600 (CST)
From: Sajjad Lateef <sajjad_at_acm.org>
Subject: Re: NANFA-- tolerant plants

Hi Bob,
Cabomba and Hygrophilia are high-light, high-nutrient plants. In
low light conditions, they'll grow for a while until they absorb all the
nutrients and then die. It has happened enough to me that I hardly even
consider hygro's now when adding new plants.

May I suggest some taller Amazon sword species, Sagittaria
(regular, not dwarf), Vals, temple plants (they look like hygros but have
longer elongated leaves)? Vals like soil in their roots or very fine
gravel and sometimes just don't grow (as I am sure you are aware). Some of
the more uncommon Amazon swords, Radican swords, melon swords might just
work out.

Please let us know what you decide on.

btw, how is your Molly tank doing? Has the spinal problem/calcium
deficiency problem gone away?

Sajjad