Re: NANFA-- Bush puts hold on "dead zone" plan

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sun, 04 Feb 2001 12:54:36 -0500

<x-flowed>
This whole topic is of course an on-going "Yes! No!" type of dynamic. The
role of government in environmental/wildlife issues is to do what
individuals, or small groups of individuals, can't do themselves. Hunting
laws are the result of many species being driven almost to extinction by
commercial hunters 100 years ago, esp. birds. National Parks exist at the
federal level because individuals couldn't possibly buy and protect areas
the size of Yellowstone, Yosemite or the Everglades (Nature Conservancy
areas are tiny in comparison). The same logic holds for dealing with
continental-scale pollution; are you going to personally negotiate with
every farm operation from New Orleans north to the Canadian border to stop
excess nitrogen runoff in to the Mississippi/Missouri basin so there won't
be a growing dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico? None of these farmers are
guilty, but they all are contributing.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL