NANFA-- Fw: AES Splash 02-20-01

B.G. Granier (bgkajun_at_worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:03:20 -0600

A message from one of our sponsors..........

Hey, we help those who help us, right?

BG
----- Original Message -----
From: Aquatic Eco-Systems <aes_at_lists.postmastergeneral.com>
To: <bgkajun_at_worldnet.att.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 9:58 AM
Subject: AES Splash 02-20-01

SPLASH
A Publication for Aquatic Eco-Systems Customers
Volume I, Issue 6

Welcome to the sixth edition of Splash. We appreciate your comments and
suggestions, as we want to keep our newsletter both informative and
entertaining. We also accept contributions - link to our email through
http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1/viewinf.icl
======================================

Tech Talk - Lake Destratification and Cold Water Fish

Trout, salmon, arctic char and other fresh water, cold water fish can be
severely stressed or killed when the water temperature exceeds 65 F. Lakes
that traditionally contain these cold water species are typically clean;
that is, they have a low trophic state index, which allows them to maintain
an oxygen-rich hypolimnium (bottom zone) during the summertime.

As the lake gets more fertile, the water below the thermocline has a greater
likelihood of running low on oxygen, forcing the fish to move above the
thermocline where they are subject to water warmer than they can tolerate
and a cold water fish kill results.

Hypolimnetic aeration systems will add oxygen below the thermocline without
disrupting the stratification, thereby allowing the fish to remain in the
cold water area. On the other hand, an efficient destratification system
will mix the water, which raises the temperature at the bottom and makes it
the same as the surface water temperature before mixing. This leaves no
cold water for the fish.

In some cases, a low-cost destratification system can be used and still
maintain a cold water fishery. For instance, if the bottom contours permit,
the synergistic airlift diffusers can be located below the traditional
thermocline, but not in the deepest areas. This will facilitate gas
exchange through the thermocline and improve the oxygen level below the
thermocline.

Another destratification technique is to operate the aeration system
throughout the spring, until the surface temperature reaches about 65 F.
Turn it off and monitor the dissolved oxygen in the hypolimnium throughout
the summer, and carefully "pulse" the aeration system if and when needed to
bring in oxygen without eliminating the cold water habitat. The aeration
system can then be turned on again when the temperature reaches 65 F in the
fall.

Experience is necessary when designing these systems, so we recommend
contacting Aquatic Eco-Systems Lakes Department for assistance.

======================================

On the Lite Side

Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went Out In The Real World!

A person needs only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the tape.

Any and all compliments can be handled by simply saying "Thank you" - though
it helps if you say it with a Southern accent.

Some people are working backstage, some are playing in the orchestra, some
are on-stage singing, some are in the audience as critics, some are there to
applaud. Know who and where you are.

When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste.

The five most essential words for a healthy, vital relationship are "I
apologize" and "You are right."

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

When you make a mistake, make amends immediately. It's easier to eat crow
while it's still warm.

If he or she says that you are too good for him - believe it.

Learn to pick your battles; ask yourself, "Will this matter one year from
now? How about one month? One week? One day?"

If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance!

Living well really is the best revenge.

Be really nice to your friends because you never know when you are going to
need them to empty your bed pan and hold your hand.

Never underestimate the kindness of your fellow man.

You are the only person who can truly make you happy.

And finally ... being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect; it just means
you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

=======================================

Visited our Classified Ad section for special items and great bargains. If
you have an ad to include, send it to
http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1/classifieds.icl

=======================================

SPECIALS!!!

These items are "web only" specials and come to you exclusively through
your online newsletter.

GET OUT YOUR CATALOG!!

All of the items on page 473 of your 2001 Catalog are 10 percent off from
now until March 5th!! We've discounted every item on that page and made
them available to you at http://www.aquaticeco.com

Don't have a catalog? Link to our email box at
http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1/viewinf.icl. In the subject line of
your email include the phrase "I want a catalog." Include your mailing
address and we'll send you one ASAP. No charge domestic. Shipping may
apply to international requests.

Offer ends March 5, 2001.