RE: NANFA-- reply from non-list member

Denkhaus, Robert (DenkhaR_at_Ci.Fort-Worth.TX.US)
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:26:54 -0600

This is exactly why I value the education that I received at (CAUTION:
Blatant alma mater plug to follow!) the University of Wisconsin-Stevens
Point. As a wildlife major, or for that matter anyone majoring in any area
in the College of Natural Resources, field work was an extremely important
and required facet of the educational program. Ornithology class involved
field birding. Dendrology was spent out among the trees. Wildlife
techniques class included capturing, marking and radio-tracking a variety
of critters. If those who major in English Literature are expected to read
books and accounting majors are expected to use adding machines then why
does it seem so difficult for universities to understand that student field
biologists/ecologists/natural resource managers should be in the field?

However, required field work related to classwork is only a small taste of
what is really necessary. I can remember spending much of my free time in
the field working on plant, bird, etc. identification. I volunteered to
work for graduate students just to gain extra field experience. While the
business majors were honing their golf game, I spent hundreds of hours in
the field with nothing in return except knowledge, experience and the
occasional 6-pack of Point Bock beer just for helping out! So many of the
students that come to me today looking for career guidance are appalled by
the idea of giving up their weekends and school breaks to gain experience
for no pay! I'm afraid that they think that they can learn everything that
they need to know from books and the internet.

To anyone out there looking to go to school and wants a field education, be
sure to ask about the university's field facilities and check into the
background of the professors. That will give you an idea of how field
oriented they are.

Rob Denkhaus
Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge