Re: NANFA-- That whole sandbed thing.

Moontanman_at_aol.com
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:53:11 EST

In a message dated 2/2/03 12:33:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com writes:

> My interest is trying to get things going without the Flourite. I plan on
> playing with red art clay to be used as a gravel additive. I also am
> interested in getting some "live sand" from a stream and seeing what kind
of
> creepy crawlies a system can support. Then I would be curious to see how
> well fishes such as hog suckers do. It may be two different set ups but I
> will reason all that out when the time comes. All stuff we have talked
> about before.

I use sand in all my tanks, I have been using it for many years. I have found
that most plants root better in sand than gravel. I also put a thin (1" or
less ) layer of mushroom compost under the sand in tanks where I want to grow
plants. a screen of plastic lighting egg crate material can be used to
isolate the compost from the digging of fish. Many fish will sift the sand
through their gills, hide in the sand, or make use of sand in other ways that
they cannot use regular aquarium gravel. Playsand is the best grade.

Moon