RE: NANFA-- That whole sandbed thing.

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 07:50:05 -0500

Anyone ever tried crushed brick? Do you think that it would have the same
properties as this fractured clay? I have tried it in a 300 gallon with
several aponogetens and VHO lighting but I had no success. It was several
years ago and I am must smarter now ;-)

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of Al G Eaton
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 7:47 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- That whole sandbed thing.

Its all a product called Profile, commonly used as a
soil amendment for ballfields. You can save a ton of
money by finding profile at a garden store,
landscaping store, etc that sell it in bulk. I had to
hunt for awhile to find it but, eventually you can
find a source thats about 20-40% the cost of the
schultz one. Its a wonderful fracted clay with great
ionic carrying capacity. Used by itself it wont grow
plants very well, because its essentially inert. You
have to add micronutrients and macronutrients to make
it work. Because of its ability to bind the ions to
the fracted clay, it is able to present the nutrients
in the state that plants can use them. I have a small
tub pond that uses it. If I don't feed the plants
regularly they languish.

I ran two ten gallon tanks side by side using the same
types of plants, lighting, etc. One tank had Profile
and fertilizer and the other just Profile. There was
a dramatic difference between the two tanks, with the
fertilized Profile proving to be as good as Fluorite
in growing plants. The drawback to profile is its so
light, you can't really sculpt with it and its hard
initially to keep plants rooted. The color is also
kind of drab with uniform particle size, but if you
have enough plants to cover the aquarium bottom, the
drabness becomes a non-issue.

Its been about 18 years since I tried growing plants
in sand. Back then I saw a dramatic spurt in plant
growth and then a die-off (eventually) of the plants
at the root base. MTS might be helpful there. Its
worth another experiment though. I am quickly running
out of enough bright lights to run all the tests :-),
so that test will have to be put off until I can get
more adequate lighting.

Klaus

=====