Re: NANFA-- blue crab growth

Moontanman_at_aol.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 05:15:40 EST

In a message dated 2/13/04 6:08:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
idleweed_at_tusco.net writes:

> I would bet that the crabs have no or few human predators in the freshwater
> pools and have many in the brackish areas. If you had some commercial
> crabbers put traps there in a restricted (size-wise) area all that would be
> left are small crabs.

You are right, no one does and crabbing on the lake I am talking about. Once
in a great while someone will collect a few bushel from the intake screens but
not often. The time I cleaned crabs from the lake they were as full of meat
as any other crab but since I didn't have any saltwater crabs at the time to
compare you may be right about the weight. Around here a 12 or 13 inch crab in
salt water would be outrageously big most are around 6 to 8 inches across the
carapace at most.

Moon