NANFA-- Sculpin Behavior, Georgia Books

Mark (nanfa_at_jonahsaquarium.com)
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:03:17 -0500

At 5:40 PM +0000 2/21/04, psalm119.111_at_juno.com wrote:
>Also regarding Sculpins, having a bit of sand may be a good idea. I
>remember yrs ago while fish watching in a tiny woodland brook I
>noticed in a small pool a pair of eyes protruding from a flat sandy
>patch. Intrigued I sat my lawn chair in the pool and sat and
>watched. Eventually a small minnow got too close and poof, in a
>swirl of silt appeared a mouth with a tail and the minnow was no
>more. The sculpin wiggled side to side and again all that showed
>were his eyes. This was a very cool brook which contained small
>Brook Trout which was what I'd come to watch but the sculpin stole
>the show.
>Mike lucas

That's very cool! I've not heard of that before. As for Georgia
books, I'm not aware of one, except for the Okeefenokee book. The
Alabama, Carolinas, and Tennesee books will cover many, but not all
of the Georgia species. The Atlas of North American Feshwater Fishes
gives detailed distributions for the whole country. The Petersons
Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes gives individual species accounts
for the bulk of US species and has small distribution maps with
shading.

http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/books.htm

--
Mark