Re: NANFA-- starting a new native tank

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:53:52 -0500

Cool. It'll be nice to have one "out in the wild" where I don't just assume
things, and we can really start to learn about it :)

Btw... Jan, if you're catching this... how's the phyto fighting going?

A couple thoughts.. I'd just go with 80 watts. That'll be plenty. I'd also
mix in the flourite into the gravel and then put the flint on top.

I'm sure you'll figure out what to stock it with ;)

----- Original Message -----
From: "matt ashton" <ashtonmj2003_at_yahoo.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 6:29 PM
Subject: NANFA-- starting a new native tank

> Well Todd you might have another example of your sand bed methodology to
go on because I started up with a 55 (48 " x 20 " x 12") tank today. Two
50lb bags of play sand gives me a bed that is 3-4" deep in the front to just
over 5" deep in the back. I also put in a high slope on the right side and a
lower slope on the left side...something like a 2-3 back to a 3-4 and on the
right a 4-6 to a 5-7. I have your run of the mill double flourescent
shoplight bulb with two gro lux bulbs for 80 W and a single flourescent
currently without a bulb. still havent decided nor purchased a filter. I
have one bag of florite on top of the sand, probably will go with a second
or some flint.