Re: NANFA-- tadpole madtoms looking amarous.

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:24:35 -0500

Thanks for the heads up Bob. The progression of glaciers have scraped away
the layers of deposits down to the Permian and Devonian shallow sea
limestone deposits in the Maumee watershed. So this genotype is from water
that has a pH of 8.0 - 8.2, depending on how much farm field is in the water
:)

I'm not sure about adjoining watersheds tho. I know there's piles of them
in Sandusky and Ottawa counties to the east, but in my limited samplings
there searching for Ohio's last populations of F. diaphanus menona, we were
crunching around stuff that put the pHun in Fens. Don't know what you call
that type of bristly rock, but it was cool. Different habitat truly, but
the ditches and bays where it was described to find the madtoms were on the
same watersource, so I don't know that it could be much different unless
they're in REALLY silted back areas with a ton of decomposition.

It will be interesting to spend a little more time out that way this next
season. We had a lot of fun at East Harbor, just to the north on the
lake... I'd like to see more of Sandusky county. Yes, that's a heads up
Ohio people... The ice is going bye bye! :)