NANFA-- Re: NANFA-Darter book

Travis Haas (madtom15_at_hotmail.com)
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 17:23:21 PST

As I said before, I am definitely glad to have it, and it's well worth what
I paid for it. I find it useful in that as opposed to the Peterson field
guide which has only paintings, it has pictures. I have also heard though
that if pictures of darters is what you are truly after, "The American
Darters" has more shots of live fish than does the Handbook, which is
composed mostly of shots of preserved specimens. As far as written info. on
darters- habitat, range maps, diet, breeding, etc., it probably has no
equal. But coming from TFH I was suprised by the little or no mention of
purely aquarium topics. I haven't had a real need to use my copy yet so
haven't become very familiar with the book.

BTW: whoever it was that gave the tip on how to get a copy of "Inland Fishes
of New York State" a while back, thanks. I got a copy. What a book! It
came in very handy for the Power Point Presentation I did recently for
computer class: "Madtoms of Wisconsin" The reviews from the non fish minded
audience were far from "rave," but I think the teacher was impressed.

Later,
Travis Haas