Re: NANFA-- Marine natives

Katrina kruse (underseavisions_at_attglobal.net)
Sat, 08 Jan 2000 22:59:42 -0800

Not only have I SEEN the giant pacific octopus, but I have really great photos of
their eyes -- they have chromatophores in their skin that let them change skin
texture and color at will! I have an eye close up that looks like drift wood with
a pupil -- golden and brown and very textural. I also have a red octopus eye --
same species (Octopus dofleini). We have another species (rubescens) that grows
only to about fist size, and a stubby squid that is really cool looking - they
hover. I have slides of them all, and have been selling them locally in arts fairs
and galleries. The brown octopus eye is my best seller in fact, and my personal
favorite at the moment! As for regular tank appropriate sculpins, there are too
many to mention! There is a pygmy poacher, sturgeon poachers (can get pretty
large), grunt sculpins (very personable), the gorgeous scaleyhead sculpin (red and
gold), spotfin sculpins...some other smaller favorites are in the prickleback
family -- mosshead warbonnets, decorated warbonnets...then there are the
gunnels...green, orange and grey, red in color...I could go on... I've only seen
the pacific spiney lumpsucker once in 829 dives!!!!! My slide collection includes
all of these and more -- I don't have a slide scanner yet. I would love to live in
a personal aquarium or underwater habitat permanently! I would be tempted to fill
it with ratfish! I have lingcod head shots, and cabezone eyes (complete with their
above the eye dobble things) and I had a cabezone lift up my diving hood (with me
in it) while I was photographing its eggs (maroon in color -- you can see the
eyespots in them). Ling and Cabezone start laying eggs about now and guard them
with all they have....katrina