Re: NANFA-- Collecting Equipment?

Christopher Scharpf (ichthos_at_charm.net)
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:28:32 -0400

George,

The US Fish & Wildlife Service's National Conservation Training Center in
Sheperdstown, WV has a course called Principles and Techniques of
Electrofishing.The class takes 3 days to complete and the manual is 1.5 iches
thick! (Comes with a CD-ROM too.) For more info, give them a call at
304-876-1600.

In Maryland, however, electrofishing is illegal without a scientific collecting
permit that specifically allows electrofishing. And you're going to be
hardpressed to convince Maryland's DNR that you have a valid scientific purpose
to electrofish.

Permits notwithstanding. electrofishing is great for surveys, but not ideal for
collecting live specimens. There is some mortality involved. At the Tennessee
Aquarium, they've found that electrofished fish sometimes develop spine
curvature problems and/or die in quarantine.

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore

----------
From: "George E Heath Jr." <buzzworm_at_ezy.net>
To: "NANFA" <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Subject: NANFA-- Collecting Equipment?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:17:02 -0500

Hello I am looking for a Good source for Collecting Equipment
the only nets I ahve been able to get are those "CHEAP" ones from Wal*Mart
that bend and fall apart after 1 days collecting. thats why I am looking for
high quality gear. and dose anyone know where I can find info about Electro
shocking? like where to get equipment & some kinda training? I know electro
shocking is dangerous & I have enough common sense not to get my self hurt
or killed , but I would still like to find someone who can show me how it's
done.

Thanks,
George