Re: Preserving critters (was Re: NANFA-- Mr. Fuzzy)

Katrina kruse (underseavisions_at_attglobal.net)
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:14:51 -0800

Shireen, I got the stuff at a craft store. It is a liquid that you add drops to,
stir, and pour it into the mold.. The hard part is that the molts float, and doing
the layering they advise traps air bubbles (the stuff hardens quickly). I highly
recommend trying it with leaves or other "floaty" stuff to get the hang of it--I
have a really cool umbrella crab whose claw sticks out of the bottom of one so it
won't sit flat and at some point will break off. The stuff will float to the
bottom, because the mold gets inverted. I was using them in the classroom as a
risk-free way to have kids handle things.

I forget the name of the spray stuff. I'm sure I got it at a craft store, but I
had contacted taxidermists first to see if THEY would mount it for me - they made
the spray suggestion. The molt has faded some, but the lacquer stuff brings out
the color. I glue-gunned it to the stained plaque (put hanger on first or risk
crushing your stuff!).

I have not preserved soft tissue things, and don't know anything about
formalin-sorry.
I preserved some fossil mollusks and leaves, but forget what I did (another good
reason to keep a journal!) - I used a solution and toothbrush to pick away the
rock and then coated the fossils with something (maybe my husband will remember)!