Re: NANFA-- Underwater observations

Katrina kruse (underseavisions_at_attglobal.net)
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:08:45 -0800

Steve, I use a Nikonos V camera and Ikelite Ai/n strobe (good equipment) but have
some suggestions that may help...

Kodak film leans toward the browns and Fuji films are more green. Your results
will depend on the clarity of the water, how deep you are photographing and your
subject color. I prefer Fuji films, because I love color and my subjects are
colorful. Try both, it is personal preference.

Get as close as you can or fish will look like specks, and if some models have a
flash get them, and photograph as shallow as you can. Water is 800 times denser
than air and its turbidity suspends all kinds of crap. Position yourself sideways
to the current if you are in a river, so crap isn't floating directly toward you
and so the crap you stir up holding things or kicking things doesn't make its way
into the picture.If you tilt the camera down it helps with the "snow effect - back
scatter," but reduces the light available. Tilting the camera upwards is more
optimum. Look for a colorful or interesting background -- what is in the negative
space is sometimes more important than the subject...a sculpin resting on a sponge
is more interesting than a sculpin on a silt bottom, or a bass in mid-water.
Do not "chase" fish -- the best thing is to be absolutely motionless with the
camera in a position. Wait them out -- random excitement makes for blown
opportunities. Even when you think they are close enough they aren't, so be
patient. Do it, love it, and upgrade! I assume you are snorkeling (these cameras
are good to about 15 feet before they flood I believe). Don't be disappointed - it
takes practice and even these cameras can make some decent useable photos! katrina