RE: NANFA-- Fish rules criticized, praised at Oregon hearing

Whitlock, Steve (Steve_Whitlock_at_jdedwards.com)
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:50:22 -0700

Chris, you bring up some valid questions. I don't have the original message
that prompted this thread. Could someone post that again? I'd like to know
the details in this case and understand what the government is specifically
proposing be done with private land in order to protect the salmon. What
ever it is, the land owners don't sound happy about it. Does anyone know of
any news articles related to the Oregon hearings?

SW

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Scharpf
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2000 11:46 AM
To: NANFA Mailing List
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Fish rules criticized, praised at Oregon hearing

>Okay, right. I am adamantly oppossed to the government confiscation of
>private property.

Has the gov't confiscated privtate property in the past to protect a
protected
species?
I honestly don't know, so that's why I'm asking.

Or is this more of an issue of the feds telling private property owners what
they can
or cannot do to their property?

If so, to what extent is property fully private? To wit,

If I dump chemicals into a section of the river that flows through my
property,
can the gov't force me to stop because I'm polluting the river downstream?

If I'm a farmer who wants to remove all of the riparian growth on my
property,
can the gov't make me stop because of the stream erosion and flooding
my practices are contributing to?

Excuse me if my questions and scenarios are simplistic and naive.
This is a new area of discussion for me.

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore