Re: NANFA-- F. diaphanus

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Thu, 04 Jan 2001 10:25:29 -0500

<x-flowed>
I think diaphanus is a truly cold-temperate fish, along with sciadicus and
(northern) heteroclitus among the Fundulus species. Wild diaphanus often
spawn in waters in the low 50's or even high 40's F in places like Quebec
and Newfoundland (someone at Memorial Univ. in Newfoundland found them there
and is doing research with them), so I guess I'd expect them to spawn
earliest among the species you have. My quasi-educated guess is that they
would respond more strongly to changes in light cycles than water
temperature.

As another possible spawning cue, has anyone noticed any linkage to lunar
cycles with freshwater Fundulus? It's clearly important to heteroclitus and
luciae (and probably other estuarine species). I've never seen reference to
lunar cues with the freshwater species.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL