Re: NANFA-- RE: Mosquito fish

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:20:34 -0800

<x-flowed>

>Michiganfish_at_aol.com writes:
>
><< Common names aren't important that's the reason for
> scientific names to eliminate the confusion. With that said why in modern
> times do we what to give common names that mislead. >>

Just for fun talk, let's lose the names largemouth bass, smallmouth bass,
Kentucky bass, etc. These aren't basses, they're sunfish.

Common names are changed at times. For example, the name squawfish is
officially dead and replaced by pikeminnow. To me this is a very confusing
name! And as someone else pointed out somewhere, why include the word
"pike" at all with this fish considering the legal and public relations
efforts to remove northern pike from western waters?

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------- /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes / Association" / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to / nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead. / For more information about NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org </x-flowed>