RE: NANFA-- CO2? - Fill your planted tanks with mudminnows or anabantids!

Ken Wintin (kwintin_at_desertmuseum.org)
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 06:24:27 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Stallsmith [SMTP:fundulus_at_hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 6:00 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- CO2? - Fill your planted tanks with mudminnows or
anabantids!

Mark, you brought up a point most people don't consider about CO2 as a
"fuel" molecule for aquatic photosynthesizers--there's evidence that some
(many?) aquatic systems can use bicarbonate ions, HCO3-, as an initial
source for photosynthesis.

Just a thought...

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL
[Ken Wintin] Bruce,
I think that this is exactly what Mark Weiss was getting at , and he
claimed that his product would release the bicarbonate ions into the water
on an ongoing basis. Most of what we are hearing is lovely science, but
how does it work in the aquarium? Has anyone tried this stuff, and does it
work? I will probably give it a try, and compare it to CO2 injection.
Ken