Re: NANFA-- Spawning Dwarf Crayfish

B.G. Granier (bgkajun_at_worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:13:07 -0600

Gator,

I knew that you'd come through with some great advice!

Thanks,

BG
----- Original Message -----
From: <BR0630_at_aol.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Spawning Dwarf Crayfish

> Travis & others interested,
> I have been raising dwarf crayfish for over 20 years now and just found
out in the last year one of the keys to spawning dwarf crayfish. We moved
out of our old house and into our new house on the same acreage. Well,
because no one lived in the old house, the lights were seldom turned on,
thus the house remained light & dark according to the natural daylight hours
which as it turns out was much less than they had been getting when we lived
in the house as they were housed in our dining/living room area. I had the
poorest spawning results last year of any of the years I raised dwarfs.
This winter, I had left the lights on in one of my 55 gallon aquariums that
remained in the old house. You guessed it, the dwarfs in that aquarium have
been spawning thru the winter. Their cycle is close to the 6 weeks that Ray
Wolff mentioned in his post. Soooo... I'd say keeping the lights on 14 to
16 hours a day will induce spawning in dwarfs.