Re: NANFA-- Maryland darter

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:58:53 -0800

<x-flowed>
At 11:33 AM 1/11/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> > species may have been "collected to death." It has not been seen since the
>
>Isn't this the fish that was "collected to death" by (a) researcher(s), I
>seem to remember something like 300 specimans just to see what they ate?

You're thinking of the fountain darter. A large number were collected and
killed in the San Marcos River (I think) in Texas by researchers. They
collected with proper permits but their study and research methods were of
dubious value to the protection of the species (and possibly detrimental to
the health of the population). Their findings were no better than they
would have surmised from behavior of similar species, or from an analysis
of the habitat and food available in the stream. I recall the results
being something like "the contents in the stomachs were the same as what
was available in the stream". Oh, really!

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA