RE: NANFA-- weird darter illness?

John Bongiovanni (bongi_at_cox-internet.com)
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 8:49:54 -0600

Nick,

Those of us (me anyway) with Native plants with our Native fish who use CO2 injection to "fertilize" the plants always have our effluent enter under the water for those exact reasons. Surface aggitation will allow the CO2 to escape and cause a pH rise in the water. My CO2 enters through the intake and is dissolved as it goes through my canister filter. I use a diffuser bar located near the bottom on the back of the tank to reduce the current effect on the plants.
There has to be plenty of O2 in the tank due to the plants and CO2 has kept the water at 6.8 - 7.0 pH. Without the CO2 the pH tends to range in the high 7's to low 8's.

Never is a long time. Is your rule for marine systems or is that for fresh and marine both?

BTW thanks for your hospitality during my X-mas visit. My son and my father and myself really enjoyed the tour and were very impressed with your facility. I'll be back in July. I'll get a change to see the Native displays all flushed out with green at that time!

John Bongiovanni