Re: NANFA-- winter collecting

Moontanman_at_aol.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:44:48 EST

In a message dated 1/20/03 3:07:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
markb_at_columbus.rr.com writes:

> Getting cabin fever, as soon as ice is out I plan on seining to fill the
> >aquarium...at least a little at a time. I am aware of the techniques
> using
> >five gallon buckets, letting the fish acclimate over night and even doing
> >partiall water changes until temps are within a few degrees...but other
> than
> >that is there any reason not to collect during cold weather? Will it be
> >impossible to keep the fish alive if they undergo a 25 degree change in
> temp
> >over a two or three day period? Has anyone attempted this before?
We had a 70 degree day here yesterday, I went out and tried a little
collecting. I got about two dozen least killifish and some gambusia (which I
fed to my redfins). The water temps in the swamp were about 45 to 50 degrees
and the tank temps are about 70 and dumped them directly in and none seemed
the worse for wear. the gambusia were put into an ice covered pond (I had to
break a hole in the ice) but they did ok too. We are having the worst winter
in more than two decades this year. We might even get snow tonight! but it's
65 right now and the swamp looks good!

Moon