Re: NANFA-- mmmmmmm....

Patrick Ceas (ceas_at_stolaf.edu)
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:41:04 -0600

Hi all:

FYI, Jeff Ray is Rob Wood's Ph.D. student. Jeff is conducting the first
comprehensive genetics study of what we currently call the rainbow
darter. Give him a couple of more years and he'll be ready to give us
the 'truth' about this species complex. It's an exciting project, and
there are definitely a few new species that he will be describing.
(Jeff, I included some of the emails from this thread. Read them from
bottom to top).

And Todd, about your comment ....
"I'd always wondered how species that are typical in headwaters
do not radiate... Or maybe they are.. "

They have radiated / are radiating. The more we look, the more we
realize that many different headwater fishes, each currently recognized
as one wide-ranging & morphologically variable species, are actually a
complex of related species. Just give us some more time to get it all
figured out! There will be a few talks at DarterFest 2003 that will
discuss some of the works in progress.

Patrick Ceas

***************************

Bruce Stallsmith wrote:
Just to finish the thought about rainbow darter population genetics, the
group I referred to includes Ray, Wood and Simons from St. Louis Univ.
(first 2) and Univ. Minnesota (Simons). They sequenced the cytochrome b
gene of the mitochondrial DNA for comparative purposes. Various people
have claimed as many as five species in this "complex" but Ray et al.'s
work didn't support that.

In honor of that, chopped earthworms for everyone!

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

*************************

Moontanman_at_aol.com wrote:

I've caught them in the stream that drains from Coonskin park in Charleston
W.Va., nasty stream if there ever was one

********************

Todd Crail wrote:

Very interesting. I guess if "sumpin' ain't broke.. no need to adapt" huh?
:)

What's even more interesting to me is the wide range of habitats I've found
them to be very successful. Of course, they're in all those fantastic
wooded, rocky streams around here. But the gene pool I took the specimens I
photograph are from the upper Olentangy River (which is refered to by
Buckeyes down 'round the Horseshoe as the "Old -n- Grungy") where a large
portion is full sun exposed, wide open, nasty, algae and cyano choked, God
forsaken, polluted to heck ditch for all practicle purposes.

I emerged with these particular specimens from a wooded rocky, riffly,
country stream, full of pride that I was going to educate Sarah's family on
what jewels they had living next door... And then someone said "Oh those?
Those are everywhere in town behind Grandpa's & Grandma's. We used to catch
'em in butterfly nets." which that locale is pretty much what I described
earlier. Sheesh. Guess I need to disappear over to ol' Carl & Ruth's next
visit ;)

And that the darters seem to have no problem with this... There *has* to be
some type of adaptation in there... There has to be! :)

********************

Bruce Stallsmith wrote:
Funny you should mention a pile of data on rainbow darters... I saw a
talk last summer at the ASIH meeting by a researcher who examined DNA
from a wideranging group of rainbow darter populations. There was very
little evidence of well-defined populations, i.e. the species seemed to
be very homogenous across its range. Personally, I would have expected
some kind of pattern to emerge, but no. Maybe other sequences would show
a different pattern. I forget the name of the guy who presented, I'll
try to find it tomorrow in my office.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A