Re: NANFA-- mmmmmmm....

Patrick Ceas (ceas_at_stolaf.edu)
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:33:56 -0600

<x-flowed>
Todd Crail wrote:

>Hey Patrick, thanks for responding :)
>
>Oh boy cell smashing :) So basically Linneaus was smoking crack when he
>thought words would be the smallest divisible units for calling something
>that everyone was eh? lol It should be a fun time once everything is
>referenced by GPS coordinates or something similar heh. Hopefully they'll
>have that Dr. Bones McCoy little scanner thingie that ties into the
>universal satellite database to identify everything, and with that, still be affordable to the common, grant-less or research sponsor-less man lol.

Believe it or not, all (or almost all) of these new species are also
diagnosable using good old fashion male breeding color patterns, or
counting scales & rays. So, it is actually possible to identify
breeding males in the field. I didn't say that it would be easy, just
possible! Another nice thing is that most of these new species have non
overlapping distributions, so if you know what river system you are in,
you should be able to guess what species is in the net.

And as a conservation side note, remember to return individual fishes
only to the stream site where you collected them!! Otherwise we really
do risk the chance of introducing species outside of their range. Since
some of these newly discovered species have very small ranges, it could
be disastrous if their streams were accidentally stocked with members of
a closely related species.

Pat
</x-flowed>