NANFA-- greenfins and Dominance

John Bongiovanni (bongi_at_cox-internet.com)
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:03:04 -0600

I once performed a classic hierarchy dominance experiment on Anole lizards. You set up rocks stacked on each other and mark 5 or 6 lizards in the tank. Periodically you come and observe the locations of the critters. The end tally would indicate that the lizard occupying the highest areas on the rock would be the most dominant lizard in the group.

Would this be true with darters, especially those that occupy riffle environments? Would one dominant individual occupy and defend the best location in a riffle? The best location may not be at the top but where food might collect as it works its way down the riffle.

John