RE: NANFA-- Collecting ethics

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:16:21 -0500

Measuring the passion quotient is easy. Look at the huge number of
hobbyists in the world and you tell me how many have the incling that
tropical fish actually come from a real place! As we have discussed. The
problem with humans is that we are so disconnected with our environment and
we loose site that our animals actually came from a wild place! We discuss
is all the time on this list. Rember the thread about how people are told
that you have to boil your driftwood and rocks before you put them in your
aquarium? And hobbyists have a tendency to keep their aquariums sparkling
clean. No algae and no detritus is how fish are supposed to be kept? As if
these fish are never exposed to mud, pathogens, or algae in their natural
environment. Hobbyists don't think of where there fish come from, they just
think of them in the tank. Again, this is shear numbers alone. The exact
opposite thinking is what endeared me to NANFA. A group of hobbyists who
are really in tune with their animals *and* the natural environments where
they come from. We can have intelligent debates about all these topics.
But I don't believe that you can tell me that the percentage of hobbyists in
this country who have a serious passion about their animals is the same as
in the professional world. Again its all about numbers. And we all b*tch
about the "average" hobbyist on this list server.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485