Re: NANFA-- Collecting ethics

Moontanman_at_aol.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:19:56 EST

In a message dated 1/13/04 3:28:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
steffen_at_hellner.biz writes:

> Still waiting for thr striking example that any hobbyist collecting ever
> lead to extinction or even serious threat.

As I said the Great Auk was collected to extinction by gentleman naturalists
in 1800s whos hobby was to collect any and everything that was rare. The birds
became rare due to over exploitation by whalers but the final straw was
indeed collecting by hobbyists. The Great Auk was of interest because it showed
parallel evolution since it closely resembled penguins but was not related to
penguins. It was known as the penguin of the North pole.

Moon

Moon
"Who died and left you in charge?"
"Captain Bipto!"