RE: NANFA-- Collecting ethics

mike sandel (kwksand_at_yahoo.com)
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:48:20 -0800 (PST)

keep in mind that the parrot family is very adaptable
in genreral, as demonstrated by the numerous exotic
species which now live quite prosperously in the
carolina's old haunts. the loss of habitat most likely
was not a major factor, we would just have carolina's
poop on our cars instead of quaker's etc...
I'm going with the eradication theory, we would
probably still have them around if the majority of
individuals were collected for the pet trade. Many
farmers viewed them as rats, flocking in the fields,
etc.