Re: NANFA-- collecting at night

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:08:44 EDT

ve collected in the dark in n.e. Ohio in the first half of April. The
behaivior and colorations many fish display at night can be a unique sight
to behold. During this trip a couple years back, I had a reporter from a
local paper take an interest in going, as he was doing an article on a
proposed bureau of land management oil and gas drilling on a local
reservoir. He wanted to see some of the fish and aquatic life few get to
see. As a result, he wrote an excellent article on the streams and the
aquatic life, featureing darters. I have never see a Greenside Darter or
Central Stone Roller display such brilliance. The water temp was about 55
degrees. and their was a hazy moon out that night! The sounds you can hear
at night as well as what nocturnal animals you can witness creates for a
very exciting night out!!!!.... Robert S. Carillio... Ohio NANFA