Re: NANFA-- River Reef Report...Thursday

kahley (kahley7_at_ptd.net)
Mon, 09 Jul 2001 12:32:51 -0500

<x-flowed>
At 10:34 AM 7/9/01 -0400, Prizma_at_aol.com wrote:
>this is interesting! where are you and why are you digging? sorry... the word
>reef has confused me. i wish i had read when you first started. being it said
>"reef" i deleted thinking salt water.
>keep updating... please.

The reef is built of logs and boulders and rocks and other found objects in
order to attract fish so i can watch them....just as ships are sunk in the
sea to provide "structure" to house fish. My reef is actually a series of four
reefs that are built more or less parallel to each other about six feet
apart in
increasingly deeper water. Located on the west branch of the
Susquehanna River in Central Pennsylvania. The digging I refer to is to remove
the build up of small freshwater clam shells and sand that is caused by the
structure itself and it's effect on the normal flow of the water. While
the reefs are
built parallel to the current, they still collects a lot of stuff that has
to be cleared
out annually....a pain in the butt, but it's the price i pay for fooling
with mother
nature. Unless I dig out the build up, the really big rocks that are the
bottoms of the reef will be buried and I went to waaaay to much work and
trouble to get them there and arranged to provide big bass housing to see
them buried by a billion clam and snail shells
BTW.....it's a glorious day here..not a cloud in the sky and moving to 90
degrees.<sigh>
And I'm at work..at least my body is. It's killer to be here when I know
the water
is clearing and good light so there is soooo much to see out there. I sit
here writing trip
reports instead of working....<laugh>. I am going to crack the whip and
tear into
work because I think I will play hookie tomorrow. I just can't wait til
friday with
all the river traffic that the weekend brings. If I can bring myself to
concentrate
and work like a madwoman, I'll take Tues. morning off and head up river. I
promise to try and
get caught up on the reports though.
>/ Association"
>/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association
>/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org

</x-flowed>