RE: NANFA-- more on snakeheads

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 16:52:06 -0400

I can tell you that public aquariums would be especially appreciative to
have a place to direct caring hobbyists with large fish they can not
properly house anymore! If you play your cards right, you might even have
aquariums calling you to see what specimens you have. Although large fish
are abundant, they are never around when you want them or even if they are
too larger for a home tank, they still need to do some growing to be put
in with other large fish in larger tanks. I am amazed that no one has
really ever latched on to this idea. It has been discussed many times
before in the public aquarium circles. There are enough people who care
enough for their overgrown pets to drive several hours to give them to
someone who can provide them with a good home.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)

On Sunday, July 14, 2002 3:51 PM, Moontanman_at_aol.com
[SMTP:Moontanman_at_aol.com] wrote:
> In a message dated 7/14/02 12:48:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> DenkhaR_at_ci.fort-worth.tx.us writes:
>
> << Is there a need for a snakehead
> rescue group? Of course, all those unwanted Oscars and such could be
used to
> feed the unwanted snakeheads... >>
> I've given some thought to starting a fish rescue place if i ever manage
> buy a few acres so I can build a pond under a greenhouse. It may start
coming
> together by next summer when I plan to build a house on about five acres.
> would almost have to charge a small fee to cover the cost of long term
care
> of large fish. I was thinking of a long narrow pond under one of those
long
> temporary greenhouses like they use in this area to grow tobacco plants.
They

------