Re: NANFA-- Dave's "surprisingly hardy silversides- ID of

Christopher Scharpf (ichthos_at_charm.net)
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:25:18 -0400

Using Dr. Ross' INLAND OF FISHES OF MISSISSIPPI as my guide, the fish
labeled as Labidesthes sicculus looks more like Medidia beryllina. The shape
of the mouth is the giveaway. Labidesthes has a long, beaklike snout.
Menidia has a shorter, rounded snout. The fish in your photos has a rounded
snout.

The "mystery" fish is most likely a striped mullet, Mugil cephalus.

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore