Re: NANFA-- Orange spotted Sunfish not eating

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:36:18 -0400

<x-flowed>
My orangespotteds have always been aggressive eaters, even taking flake food
from day one. Have you tried feeding them in dim light, without any tank
lights on?

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: John Bongiovanni <bongi_at_cox-internet.com>
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: NANFA-- Orange spotted Sunfish not eating
>Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:25:02 -0500
>
>I have a pair of Orangespotted Sunfish I collected a couple weekends back
>with Rob Denkaus et. al. during the Texas Nanfa/NFC weekend. I've been
>dropping blood worms, tubifex, and flake food into the 55 gal tank but I
>haven't really seen the O Sunfish eating. They are much less agressive
>eaters than the other mid and toplevel fish in the tank. I have an
>assortment of shiners, fundulus, platies (a compromise with the Mrs.) and a
>too big Siamese Algae eater. They will take food into their mouths and
>then spit it out shortly. Are they typically timid fish and with all the
>activity around them, they won't complete their meal?
>
>BTW I do have to get pretty creatve to make sure that blood worms get to
>the bottom for the darters and madtoms.
>

>John
</x-flowed>