Re: NANFA-- Notropis welaka

Dustin Smith (dsmith73_at_hotmail.com)
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:47:36 -0400

<x-flowed>
I'm fairly certain that there haven't been any welaka taken in FL for some
time. They're probably not there any more. You would have to go over
towards MS or LA for them. The only species in their genus in FL, as far as
I know, is Pteronotropis hypselopterus, the sailfin shiner. This is also a
very nice looking fish.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Ghazanfar Ghori - McLean <Ghazanfar.Ghori_at_Spacenet.com>
To: "'nanfa_at_aquaria.net'" <nanfa at aquaria.net>
Subject: NANFA-- Notropis welaka
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:47:36 -0400

I'm planning a short trip down to Florida July 4th weekend
and want to spend a day trying to find Notropis welaka.
Things I've got going against me....

1) Never collected before
2) Trying to find a fish that others have had difficulty finding
3) Giving myself only one day for it

So far, from what I've gathered online.
Good spots include areas where a smaller stream meets
a larger one in 2-4 ft of water.

Use a seine - with the help of one more person. Dip nets
are helpful. In July, the juvis can be found at shoreline
vegetation. (Although I doubt I'll be able to ID them)

Precautions, snakes, gators, bugs - so I'm going to be as
careful as I can - will probably get waders, or at minimum,
boots. Insect repellent? Is it safe for fish?

Getting some Bag Buddies, have styros, bags. Do I need
O2 if I'm not crowding? Use CLOUT?

Notropis welaka I know how to ID - atleast the adults.
Good ID book reccomendation for anything else I may encounter?
Not that I'm going to bring them back - just interested in
Notropis welaka but it'd be good for my notes if I knew what
I caught (if anything) and where.

So any information that may help me succeed
would certainly be appreciated. Especially if you've
collected this species.

Thanks

-
Ghazanfar Khan Ghori