NANFA-- Newbi questions

Adam N. (adam_at_xhaos.org)
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:52:40 -0400

These may be very basic questions but I am just getting started here.

I have had a 75-gallon heavily planted filterless tank running for 5 years.
The tank is CO2 injected, CF lit and uses substrate heating etc. It's a
filterless tank and always maintains excellent water conditions. PH is held
near neutral but water is somewhat hardened. Water is changed automatically
and constantly via peristaltic pump at a rate of around 2 gallons per day.
I'd like to maintain the tank around 70F.

I'd like to start maintaining exclusively native fishes in it and, if
possible, fishes of the northeast where I live. I prefer smaller community
type fishes. They would have to live with the 'cleaning crew' of Amano,
Ghost and long arm shrimp, snails and perhaps some otto cats. I am looking
into whether it is practical for the shrimp at these lower temps but believe
it is.

Can anyone recommend fish, sources for fish and/or locations to gather
and/or plants and the same for them? I live in Northampton MA. Any help
appreciated. I would prefer to use captive bread fish and if possible to
breed rare fish for release. I also prefer shish be at least somewhat
colorful.

Thanks,

Adam