Re: NANFA-- Harvesting Mosquito Larvae Question

Sajjad Lateef (sajjadlateef_at_yahoo.com)
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:39:04 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,

I wanted to do the same for such a long time. But, the
wife didn't approve and Illinois is West Nile Central.
So, I couldn't and didn't want to take health risks.

You could also just collect the rafts and save them. Then,
just pop in a raft in a tank. The fish will eat the larvae
as they hatch. Hopefully, none will mature into adults.
But, keep those tanks covered with fine netting.

One thing that I remember is that the larvae sink when the
water is disturbed. Now, all you would need to do is
disturb the water and drain some water from the bottom to
collect the max number of larvae. It would help to have a
spigot on the side of the tub. If you setup brine-shrimp
cone hatchers to collect mosquito eggs, then you could just drain
the larvae from the bottom. Just sharing an idea.

I'll ask my dad about the minimum hatching time and get back
to you.

Sajjad

=====

--